Wednesday, August 26, 2026

短篇読解(5)

NO LIVING WITNESS, by Emile C. Tepperman

Originally published in Secret Agent X, June 1934.

(5)

  “This is—you know who,” said Cronin, “callin’ from New York.”
  “Gott!” said the voice. “Not Cro—”
  “Shut up, you fool! You want to advertise it? It’s bad enough I had to call you up. I was sick and tired of hiding out in that stinking boarding house room for five days. And no dough. When I gave you them sparklers, you promised to send me the cash as soon as you got back to Chi. Well, where is it?”
  The voice shrilled despairingly. “Gott! Don’t yell like that! I told you it might take me a couple of days to raise the money. That’s why you held out two of the stones. You were going to pawn them, no?”
  “Yes, and all the hock shops were wised up. I couldn’t take a chance. If the cops caught on I was in New York, they’d figure me sure for that job. I’m supposed to be up in the mountains. I had to go out and get me some spending money on the q. t. tonight. So well where’s the dough?”

意味と解説

“This is— / you know who,” / said Cronin, / “callin’ from New York.”
おれは…… / 誰かわかるだろう/ とクローニンは言った / ニューヨークからかけている

〔註〕This is 「こちらは(誰それ)」と言いかけて用心のために you know who と言い直したのである。交換手が聞いているかもしれない。callin' は calling のこと。

“Gott!” / said the voice.
えっ! / と声が言った

〔註〕Gott はドイツ語の「神」で、英語と同様感嘆詞としても使われる。話者はドイツからの移民と思われる。

“Not Cro—”
まさかクロー

“Shut up, / you fool!
だまれ / 馬鹿野郎!

You want to advertise it?
(おれの名前を)宣伝したいのか

It’s bad enough / I had to call you up.
十分まずいんだ / おまえに電話しなけりゃならないってだけでも

〔註〕この文は It's bad enough that ... ということだが that は口語ではよく省かれる。

I was sick and tired of hiding out / in that stinking boarding house room / for five days.
おれは隠れているのにうんざりしたんだ / あの胸くそ悪い下宿屋の部屋に / 五日間

〔註〕sick and tired of は「~にいやになる」。hide out は「潜伏する」。stinking の原義は「悪臭のする」だが「いまいましい」とか「ひでえ」の意味にもなる。

And no dough.
金もないしな

When I gave you them sparklers, / you promised to send me the cash / as soon as you got back to Chi.
あの宝石をおまえに渡したとき / おまえはおれに現金を送ると約束した / シカゴに戻りしだい

〔註〕sparkler は「光るもの」、ここでは「宝石」の意。them sparklers は those sparklers のこと(口語表現)。Chi は Chicago の略でパルプ小説にはよく出てくる。発音は shy と同じ。

Well, where is it?”
で、(金は)どこだ

The voice shrilled despairingly.
声は絶望したように甲高くなった

〔註〕shrill は「甲高い声をあげる」。despairingly は「絶望的に」。

“Gott!
おい!

Don’t yell like that!
そんなに怒鳴るな

I told you / it might take me a couple of days / to raise the money.
言っただろう / 二日ほどかかるかもしれないって / 金をつくるには

〔註〕raise は「金を調達する、工面する」。

That’s why you held out two of the stones.
だからおまえは宝石を二個取っておいたんだろう

〔註〕hold out は「一部をとっておく」e.g., Pack the boxes, but hold out a few blue ones for later.

You were going to pawn them, no?”
あんた、それを質にいれようとしたんだろう、ちがうか

〔註〕pawn 「質に入れる」

“Yes, / and all the hock shops were wised up.
ああ、/ だがどの質屋にも知らせが行き渡っていた

〔註〕hock shop はスラングで「質屋」。pawnshop とも言う。wise up もスラングで「わからせる、知らせる」。おそらく盗難事件後、警察が質屋にこれこれの宝石を現金に換えようとする人が来たら連絡しろと通知したのだろう。

I couldn’t take a chance.
危険を冒すわけにはいかなかった。

〔註〕take a chance は「いちかばちかやってみる、危険を冒す」。「危険」は質屋で宝石を金に換えること。

If the cops caught on / I was in New York, / they’d figure me sure for that job.
もしも警察が気づいたら / おれがニューヨークにいると / きっとあの事件はおれがやったにちがいないと思うだろう

〔註〕catch on はスラングで find out の意味。figure me for that job は「おれがあの事件の犯人だと思う」。figure someone for something で suspect someone of something。 job は前にも指摘したようにパルプ小説ではよく「犯罪事件」を意味する。

I’m supposed to be up in the mountains.
おれは山に行っていることになっている

〔註〕up in the mountains となっているが、登山に行っているのか、狩りに行っているのか、山の中のホテルとか小屋とか別荘に行っていることになっているのかはわからない。

I had to go out and get me some spending money / on the q. t. tonight.
おれは現金を手に入れる必要があった / 今晩こっそりと

〔註〕go out and get me ... は go out to get me ... と書き換えられる。on the q. t. は quietly の意味で昔のスラング。

So well / where’s the dough?”
で、 / 金はどこだ

短篇読解(5)

NO LIVING WITNESS, by Emile C. Tepperman Originally published in Secret Agent X, June 1934. (5)   “This is—you know who,” said ...