232. might
- From the manner he treats me, I might be a piece of furniture. 「彼のわたしに対する接しようときたら、まるでわたしが家具かなにかのようである」
この might は it looks as if she (he, it, etc.) were.... という意味。例文の後半部分は it seems as if I were a piece of furniture あるいは I might be a piece of furniture と言い換えられる。
例文1
She might have been a statue or a picture, so motionless she sat.
Mrs. Emma D. E. N. Southworth, Capitola the Madcap
彼女は彫像か絵のようだった。それくらい静かに座っていたのだ。
例文2
The city was already sunk in slumber; had it not been for the infinity of lights and the outline of buildings on the starry sky, they might have been alone beside some country river.
R. L. Stevenson, New Arabian Nights
都会はすでに眠りについていた。数限りない燈火と星空に映ずる建物の輪郭がなかったなら、彼らはどこか田舎の川辺に二人きりでいるような気分になったかもしれない。
例文3
We might have been three old people, who had long fought with and endured the crosses of the world, instead of two young men and a young woman, in the very dawn of life.
Dinah Mulock Craik, John Halifax, Gentleman
われわれはようやく世の中に出たばかりの若い男二人と若い女一人ではなく、長年浮世の辛酸と戦い、これを堪え忍んできた三人の老人のようであった。