NO LIVING WITNESS, by Emile C. Tepperman
Originally published in Secret Agent X, June 1934.
(8)
“W-what’s the big idea?” he mumbled. Sergeant Pell was grim, the bleakness of his face denying the levity of his words. “Well, look who’s here! If it ain’t Jake Cronin in the flesh! And here I was thinking you were far away in the mountains!” While he talked, he frisked him deftly, and took the automatic.
“How’d you know I was here?” Cronin asked, dry-mouthed.
“Just an accident, Jake, just an accident. I wasn’t looking for you. But now I know you’re in town, I’m beginning to get ideas about that Associated Jewelers holdup, Monday, where the girl cashier was killed. Looks just like it might be one of your jobs. Let’s go up to your room and kind of glance it over.”
意味と解説
“W-what’s the big idea?” / he mumbled.
い、いったいどういうつもりだ / 彼は口をもぐもぐさせた
〔註〕what's the big idea? は口語で「どういうわけだ?」という意味の決まり文句。e.g., Hey, what's the big idea, you telling everybody I'd left town? mumble は「ぶつぶつ言う、つぶやく」。
Sergeant Pell was grim, / the bleakness of his face denying the levity of his words.
ペル巡査部長は険しい表情だった / 顔の冷酷さは彼の言葉の軽薄さを否定していた
〔註〕grim は「表情が険しい、近づきがたい」。the bleakness 以下は分詞構文。bleakness は「冷たさ、陰気さ」。deny は「否定する」。levity は「軽率さ、場違いな陽気さ」。言葉遣いは冗談を言っているようなのんきなものだが、顔つきを見ると相手が真剣であることがわかる、ということ。
“Well, look who’s here!
おやおや、だれかと思ったら!
〔註〕直訳すれば「ここにいるのが誰か、見てみろよ」となる。別の言い方をすれば Well, look who we have here!
If it ain’t Jake Cronin in the flesh!
なんとジェイク・クローニンその人じゃないか!
〔註〕ain't は isn't のこと。ain't はあまり教養がないことを示す。If it ain't (= isn't) ...! は口語的な表現で「なんと……じゃないか」。in the flesh は「その人、実物の、じきじきに」などをあらわす。Jake Cronin in the flesh は Jake Cronin himself あるいは Jake Cronin in person とも言い換えられる。
And here I was thinking / you were far away in the mountains!”
おれは思っていたが / 山に行っちまったものと
〔註〕and here I was thinking (worrying / expecting) ... という言い方で「……と思っていた(心配していたが / 予想していた)が、実際はちがった」という意味を表す。e.g., And here I was thinking you liked me. / Here I was worrying about the exam, and it turned out to be easy.
While he talked, he frisked him deftly, and took the automatic.
彼は話しながら / 手早く身体検査をし / 自動拳銃を取り上げた
〔註〕frisk は服の上から「身体検査をする」こと。deftly は「手際よく」。
“How’d you know I was here?” Cronin asked, dry-mouthed.
どうしておれがここにいるとわかった / クローニンは聞いた / 口の中が渇いた状態で
〔註〕how'd = how did.
“Just an accident, Jake, just an accident.
ただの偶然さ、ジェイク、偶然だよ
〔註〕accident はここでは「事故」ではなく「偶然」を意味する。
I wasn’t looking for you.
おれはおまえを探していたわけじゃない
But now I know you’re in town, / I’m beginning to get ideas / about that Associated Jewelers holdup, / Monday, / where the girl cashier was killed.
しかしおまえが町にいることを知ったいま / おれは疑いを抱きはじめている / れいの宝石商強盗事件について / 月曜日(に起きた) / その際レジ係の娘が殺された
〔註〕get ideas = form some theories or suspicions. where は強盗という「状況」において何が起きたかを示す関係代名詞。この場合の where は in which とか during which の意。e.g., There was an accident where three people were injured.
Looks just like it might be one of your jobs.
どうやらおまえがやったみたいだな
〔註〕It looks just like....(まさしく……のように見える) の主語が抜けた形。会話ではよく生じる。たとえば It looks good の代わりに Looks good と言ったり、It seems strange の代わりに Seems strange と言ったりする。
Let’s go up to your room and kind of glance it over.”
おまえの部屋に行こう / そしてちょいと見させてもらおうか
〔註〕kind of にはとくに意味はない。強いて言えば日本語の話者の「ええと、なんていうか」「ううんと、そのね」といった感じの曖昧さをかもしだす表現。口語ではよく使われる。I kind of forgot と言えば「ちょっと忘れたな」。I forgot というより多少クッションのきいた言い方だ。
文法の復習 And here I was thinking
口語でよく使われる表現。「……だと思っていたのに、実際はそうではなかった」という意外性や、驚き、当惑、安堵、落胆、皮肉などをあらわす。
- And here I was thinking you didn't like me.
ぼくのこと、嫌いだと思っていたのに。 - And here I was thinking the meeting was tomorrow.
会議は明日だと思っていたんだが。 - You're already finished? And here I was thinking you hadn't started.
もう終わった? まだ始めてないと思っていたのに。
thinking の代わりに、expecting, worrying, hoping, assuming, wondering, believing, counting on など、さまざまな動詞を使うことができる。
- And here I was expecting a quiet evening.
静かな晩を過ごそうと思っていたのに。 - You brought your umbrella. And here I was worrying you'd get soaked.
傘を持ってきたのか。濡れると思って心配していたのに。 - And here I was hoping you'd say yes.
イエスと言ってくれると期待していたんだが。
最初の and が脱落することもある。また、動詞の前に強調の just を置くことがある。
- You already finished the report? Here I was thinking you'd need another week.
レポートをもう書き終わったの? あと一週間はかかると思っていたのに。 - You're not moving away after all? Here I was worrying I'd never see you again.
結局引っ越しはしないの? もう会えないと心配していたのに。 - And here I was just thinking you didn't like me.
てっきり嫌われていると思っていたのに。